Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Demon Slayerz: Great Band, or Greatest Band?


Article by Frankie Malloy
Photo: Demon Slayerz Ready to Rock (taken by Frankie Malloy)
Demon Slayerz was born out of the fiery depths of hell, Akron, Ohio. Like a Phoenix, they emerged from the ashes of the adult contemporary genre and ascended into the air riding on the back of a six winged flaming dragon of rock. Also, Lightning was present.
“We just knew it was right,” said front man Tony “Dragon Fury” Robins. “I mean, it was just like, 100% adrenaline pumping fury, right from the first sesh. No one saw it coming. We rocked so hard that I woke up on the floor with a concussion. I’m surprised my face was still fully intact after Kamakazi Molitov’s face melting licks.”
And Rock you did, Dragon Fury. Their first single “Corporate Demonz Turned off My Water and Electricity” brings it in a way only the Demon Slayerz can bring it: Hard and with serious ‘tude. “The first time I heard Dragon Fury’s riff for ‘Corporate Demonz’, I just started going with it,” Says back up vocalist/lead Keytarist, Brad “Kamakazi Molitov” Jones. “At the time, I knew it sounded good. But I didn’t think my solo could change the face of the music industry.”
“Kamakazi Molitov’s solo is paradoxically transcendent and elusive,” notes local late-nite radio personality ‘Crazy Steve’, who can be heard on Tuesdays from midnight until three on 88.3 WROX. “Its like, he woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and liked it. Total Badass. I haven’t been rocked that hard since STYX’s 86 Tour with REO Speedwagon”
When asked about the origins of his name, Kamakazi Molitov said, “Its just me, you know? An explosive, suicidal, Japanese fighter pilot who is down for whatever. Just as long as it rocks.” A local fan remembers Kamakazi’s wild side. “Yeah, I remember this one time after a show, this cop came up to Kamakazi and told him he left his lights on in the parking lot and might be needing a jump. He was like, ‘Whatever Pig’. I couldn’t believe my ears. How sick is that? Demon Slayyyyerzzz!!!” Clearly, Demon Slayerz isn’t just a band; It’s a way of life.
"Corporate Demonz Turned off My Water and Electricity" jumped to an unprecedented # 49, putting Akron on the map in the late-nite adult contemporary listening charts. Their next single, “YOU Should Pay Your Credit Card Bill”, is slated for release next month.

No comments: